Navy Yard shooting, A former Navy reservist with a "pattern of misconduct" unleashed a barrage of bullets at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, killing 12 people and injuring eight others.
Employed as a military contractor, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis began at the Navy Yard last week, but worked at multiple Navy offices over the summer, according to employer Homas Hoshko, CEO of The Experts, an HP subcontractor. Hoshko said there were no reports of problems with Alexis at the other Navy offices.
Authorities said Alexis was killed after an encounter with security.
In addition to the dead suspect, who authorities identified earlier, police late Monday released the names and ages of seven of the 12 people killed in the shooting. None of the seven was military personnel. They are Michael Arnold, 59; Sylvia Frasier, 53; Kathy Gaarde, 62; John Roger Johnson, 73; Frank Kohler, 50; Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46; and Vishnu Pandit, 61. The names of the other five will be released once their families have been notified.
Eight people were injured in the shooting rampage, Washington Mayor Vincent Gray told reporters Monday night. Three of those were injured by gunfire, and the others had other types of injuries, such as contusions and chest pain. Earlier Monday evening, Navy Vice Adm. William D. French said 14 people were injured.
Washington police are confident that only one person was involved in Monday morning's shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, and they are lifting a shelter-in-place order for residents who live nearby, Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Monday night.
Authorities are still searching for more information about Alexis, and they're asking the public for help.
"No piece of information is too small," said Valerie Parlave, assistant director in charge of the Washington FBI Field Office. "We are looking to learn everything we can about his recent movements, his contacts and associates."
Even as the FBI ruled out any other shooters in the rampage at the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command, Metropolitan Police were trying to track down at least one person to determine whether that individual had any involvement.
"We'll continue to seek information about what the motive is. We don't have any reason at this stage to suspect terrorism," Gray told reporters, "but certainly it has not been ruled out."
The other possible suspect was described by police as a black male, between 40 and 50, wearing an "olive drab-colored" military-style uniform.
"We still don't know all the facts. But we do know that several people have been shot and some have been killed," President Barack Obama said Monday afternoon. "So we are confronting yet another mass shooting. And today it happened on a military installation in our nation's capital."
Obama called the shooting a "cowardly act" that targeted military and civilians serving their country.
"They know the dangers of serving abroad," he said, "but today they faced the unimaginable violence that we wouldn't have expected here at home."
news via cnn - Navy Yard shooting. Tolong Share ya ^^